Welcome to AVIS Alaska! We are the premier car rental company in Anchorage, and we are excited to help you explore all that our beautiful city has to offer. Whether you’re a local or a visitor, there are plenty of fun and exciting activities to enjoy during the summer months. Here are ten of our top picks:
- Hike Chugach State Park: Located just a short drive from downtown Anchorage, Chugach State Park is home to over 500 miles of trails, offering something for hikers of all levels. It’s the perfect place to enjoy the beauty of the Alaskan wilderness and get some exercise. Estimated time: 2-6 hours, depending on the trail chosen.
- Visit the Anchorage Museum: This world-class museum is a must-see for anyone visiting Anchorage. It features exhibits on Alaska’s natural and cultural history, as well as contemporary art and science. Estimated time: 2-4 hours.
- Go salmon fishing: Alaska is known for its abundant salmon populations. So, what better way to experience it than by going fishing? You can choose to go out on a guided tour or rent equipment and go it alone. Either way, it’s a unique and exciting way to spend a summer day. Estimated time: 4-8 hours.
- Take a scenic flightseeing tour: Alaska’s stunning landscapes are best seen from above, and there are plenty of companies offering flightseeing tours of the state. You’ll get breathtaking views of mountains, glaciers, and wildlife that you can’t see from the ground. Estimated time: 10-15 hours, depending on the trip chosen.
- Check out the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center: This center is home to a variety of Alaskan wildlife, including bears, moose, and bison. It’s a great place to learn about the state’s native animals and see them up close. Estimated time: 2-3 hours.
- Visit the Alaska Native Heritage Center: This center is dedicated to preserving and sharing the culture and traditions of Alaska’s indigenous peoples. You can take part in cultural demonstrations, see authentic native crafts, and learn about the rich history of the state. Estimated time: 2-3 hours.
- Go whale watching: The waters around Anchorage are home to a variety of whale species, and several companies offer whale-watching tours. You’ll have the chance to see these majestic creatures up close and learn about their habits and behaviors. Estimated time: 3-4 hours.
- Explore the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center: This center is home to a variety of Alaskan wildlife, including bears, moose, and bison. It’s a great place to learn about the state’s native animals and see them up close. Estimated time: 2-3 hours.
- Visit the Alaska Railroad Depot: The Alaska Railroad is an iconic part of the state’s history, and the depot in Anchorage is a must-see for history buffs. You can learn about the railroad’s role in the development of the state and see vintage trains on display. Estimated time: 1-2 hours.
- Go dog sledding: Dog sledding is a popular activity in Alaska, and several companies offer guided tours. You’ll get to experience the thrill of riding in a sled pulled by a team of powerful huskies. Estimated time: 3-4 hours.
We hope you enjoy your summer in Anchorage and all that it has to offer! Don’t forget to rent a car from AVIS Alaska to make the most of your trip.