Welcome to Sitka
|Address:||600 B Airport Rd|
|Hours:||Mon – Fri:|
9AM – 11PM
Sat – Sun:
9AM – 11PM
The Sitka International Airport is on Japonski Island, just over the O’Connell Bridge from downtown Sitka.
Flying into the airport?
Look for the red AVIS sign in the airport.
PLACES TO VISIT (See map)
Sawmill Creek Road
See some of Sitka’s main attractions along Sawmill Creek Road, including: Arrowhead Hiking Trail, Alaska Raptor Rehabilitation Center, Thimble Berry Hiking Trail, Fortress of the Bear, and Herring Cove Trail at the end of the road.
Castle Hill is the historic site where Alaska was officially transferred from Russia to the United States in 1867. (Now Castle Hill is known as ”Baranof Castle State Historic Site”)
Harrigan Centennial Hall
Built in Alaska’s Centennial Celebration (1967)
The Archangel Dancers give visitors a taste of Sitka’s Russian history
(Hall includes Sitka Historical Society and Museum)
Sheldon Jackson Museum
Alaska’s oldest museum (1895)
Alaska’s first concrete building
Wide display of Native Alaskan Artifacts
Sitka National Park
The park is the old Tlingit fort site (1804), when the Russians fought against the Tlingit people.
See totem poles at the waterfront.
Information center with small area where local artisans display their work.
Russian Bishop’s House
Sitka’s oldest intact Russian building (1842)
It has served as a school, residence for the bishop, and a chapel.
St. Michael’s Cathedral
Was the oldest standing Orthodox church in Alaska (1844-48), until destroyed in a fire (1966)
Russian Block House
The Russian Block House is a replica of what separated Russia and Tlingit sections of Sitka.
The Pioneer’s Home (1934) is a state home for the elderly, with a bronze statue of William “Skagway Bill” Fonda. The home is at the corner of Lincoln St. and Katlian St.
Sitka Lutheran Church
The first Lutheran church on the west coast of North America.
St. Peter’s By the Sea Episcopal Church
Sitka was the capital city in 1895, and this church was the “See City”.
ANB Hall Alaska Native Brotherhood Building
The brotherhood building was built in 1914, and serves as an Alaska Native community center.
Sheet’ka Kwaan Naa Kahidi Tribal Community House
The house was once an Indian Government School, now offers Native dances, storytelling, and an authentic Native artwork shop.
Halibut Point Road
Get a good view of Mt. Edgecumbe Volcano, Halibut Point Recreation Park, Sitka Ferry Terminal, Old Sitka- the Site of the Battle during 1802. The road ends with hiking trails and Starrigavan Campground.