https://www.avisalaska.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/GettyImages-127748458-scaled.webp 1460 2560 Avis Alaska https://www.avisalaska.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Logo-300x64.png Avis Alaska2023-04-17 11:39:292023-04-05 12:12:4110 Fun Summer Activities in Whittier, Alaska
10 Fun Summer Activities in Whittier, Alaska
Whittier, Alaska, is a hidden gem tucked away in the pristine wilderness of Alaska. This quaint town, located on the shores of Prince William Sound, is a true paradise for outdoor enthusiasts. Whittier is the perfect destination for a summer adventure with its stunning natural beauty, abundant wildlife, and various outdoor activities. If you’re planning a trip to Whittier, here are ten activities you won’t want to miss:
- Kayaking in Prince William Sound: Prince William Sound is a breathtakingly beautiful location best explored by kayak. Paddle through the crystal clear waters and take in the stunning scenery, including glaciers and wildlife. Estimated time: Half-day to full-day.
- Hiking to Portage Pass: The Portage Pass trail offers some of the most spectacular views in Whittier. This moderate hike takes you to a scenic overlook where you can enjoy panoramic views of Portage Glacier and the surrounding mountains. Estimated time: 2-3 hours.
- Fishing for Salmon: Whittier is renowned for its salmon fishing. Head out on a fishing charter and catch your own salmon for dinner. Estimated time: Half-day to full-day.
- Scenic Drive along Turnagain Arm: Take a scenic drive along Turnagain Arm, one of Alaska’s most picturesque stretches of road. Keep an eye out for Dall sheep, beluga whales, and eagles. Estimated time: 1-2 hours.
- Wildlife Cruise: Take a wildlife cruise to see whales, sea otters, seals, and other marine life in their natural habitat. You can also see the many glaciers that dot the coastline of Prince William Sound. Estimated time: Half-day to full-day.
- Bird Watching: Whittier is home to a variety of bird species, including bald eagles, puffins, and oystercatchers. Bring your binoculars and go bird watching in the lush forests and along the shoreline. Estimated time: Half-day.
- Visit the Whittier Museum: Learn about the fascinating history of Whittier at the Whittier Museum. The museum features exhibits on Whittier’s military history, its role in the Alaska earthquake of 1964, and its development as a commercial port. Estimated time: 1-2 hours.
- Go Glacier Trekking: For the more adventurous, go glacier trekking on the nearby glaciers. You’ll be led by a professional guide and provided with all the necessary equipment. Estimated time: Half-day to full-day.
- Visit the Begich Towers: The Begich Towers is a unique sight in Whittier. This massive structure was built during World War II to house soldiers and their families. Today, it is home to the majority of Whittier’s residents. Estimated time: 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Take a Train Ride on the Alaska Railroad: The Alaska Railroad runs through Whittier, and a train ride is a fantastic way to see the scenery. Choose from various routes that take you through Alaska’s most stunning landscapes. Estimated time: Half-day to full-day.
There you have it, ten great activities to enjoy in Whittier this summer. Rent a car from AVIS Alaska and explore all this beautiful town offers. From kayaking to fishing and hiking to glacier trekking, there is something for everyone in Whittier.