https://www.avisalaska.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Logo-300x64.png 0 0 Avis Alaska https://www.avisalaska.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Logo-300x64.png Avis Alaska2023-03-15 15:54:392023-03-07 15:59:0910 Fun Summer Activities in Skagway, Alaska
10 Fun Summer Activities in Skagway, Alaska
Hello from AVIS Alaska! We are excited to share our top ten picks for things to do in Skagway, Alaska, during the summer. Whether you’re a local or a visitor, there is something for everyone to enjoy in this historic gold rush town.
- Take a scenic drive on the Klondike Highway: This iconic highway is a must-see for anyone visiting Skagway. The road winds through the mountains and offers stunning views of glaciers, waterfalls, and wildlife. Estimated time: 4-6 hours for the entire drive.
- Visit the Skagway Museum and Archives: This museum preserves the history of Skagway and the surrounding area. You can learn about the gold rush, the native Tlingit people, and the town’s role in World War II. Estimated time: 1-2 hours.r
- Go on a whale-watching tour: Skagway has several companies that offer guided tours. You’ll be able to see humpback whales, orcas, and other marine life. Estimated time: 3-4 hours.
- Take a scenic train ride on the White Pass and Yukon Route: This historic railroad takes you through the mountains and offers stunning views of the Alaskan wilderness. You can choose from several different tours and packages. Estimated time: 2-4 hours.
- Hike the Chilkoot Trail: This historic trail was once a major route for gold rush prospectors. Today, it’s a popular hiking trail that offers stunning views of the mountains and valleys. You can choose from several different hikes of varying lengths and difficulties. Estimated time: 3-8 hours.
- Visit the Red Onion Saloon: This historic saloon was once famous for gold rush miners. Today, it’s a popular tourist attraction that offers guided tours and live entertainment. Estimated time: 1-2 hours.
- Explore the Dyea Historic Site: Dyea was once a bustling town during the gold rush. Today, it’s a historic site that offers guided tours and hiking trails. You can learn about the town’s history and see remnants of the gold rush era. Estimated time: 2-3 hours.
- Go kayaking in the Taiya Inlet: The Taiya Inlet offers calm waters and stunning views of the mountains and wildlife. You can rent kayaks or book a guided tour. Estimated time: 2-4 hours.
- Visit the Jewell Gardens: These beautiful gardens offer stunning views of the mountains and glaciers. You can also take a glassblowing class and create your souvenir to take home. Estimated time: 1-2 hours.
- Visit the Gold Rush Cemetery: This historic cemetery is the final resting place for many of Skagway’s gold rush pioneers. You can take a self-guided tour and learn about the lives and stories of those buried there. Estimated time: 1-2 hours.
We hope you enjoy your time in Skagway and make the most of all that this beautiful town has to offer. And remember to rent a car from AVIS Alaska to make getting around a breeze.